Lucas ECU 14 Cu

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas ECU 14 Cu
From: "Kurt C. Reinhardt" <kurt.reinhardt@uni-duisburg.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:01:21 +0100
Hi folks, I have a somewhat complicated question concerning the
Lucas ECU used in Range-Rovers. I hava a 89 RR, one of the first
3.9 with cats. It uses the Lucas 14 CU ECU, whilethe 90 onwards
use the 14 CUX. Now I am curious,how in 89 RR4s the ECU is told,
that there are no cats. The 14 CUX manages this by so called
tuning resistors, but the 14 CU hasn4t got such a thing. Or it has a
resistor, but its resistance is about 6.4 kOhms, whereas the the
resistance of the resistor for the 14 CUX is 3.9 kOhms (with cat)
and 470 Ohms without cat. So is there anybody out there, who
could help me, how the ECU is told, that there are no cats? And
what is the function of this resitor in the 14 CU (it is in the same
location as in the 14 CUX, just plugged in the wiring harness).
The Vin of the car is FA which means 89 in european markets, in
my workshop manual, there is a note, that this ECU is used only
89 in europe and some years in the USA.
thaks in advance
Kurt
PS: As my car has the old instrument binacle, I am curious if the
Efi-light should illuminate while starting for check-bulb function or
not. It is not like the 90 onwards, with the electronic speedometer.
Kurt.Reinhardt@uni-duisburg.de
Gerhard Mercartor University Duisburg
FB 1/10 Philosophie/Physik
voice  0049 201 67 00 77