cam choices

To: "Buick-Rover V8 List" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: cam choices
From: "Thomas Joyner" <tjoyner@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:21:22 -0600
Lorne said "Be sure you choose your camshaft wisely"

I'm getting to the point in my 4.2 re-build that I am now thinking about
cams and chosing one wisely. The engine will go into my '88 Rangie and I'll
change the ECU to a 4.2 (or 3.9). I want the vehicle to have as much if not
some more lower end torque and about the same HP (200 @4850rpm). At this
point I'm strongly considering a stock 4.2 cam or maybe one of Crane cams' 3
offerings for the BOP rover. Any suggestions from a BTDT person? Related
question: What exactly does degreeing (retard or advance) a cam accomplish?
Any help for the neophyte will be appreciated.

Tom
Durango
 PS Larry Hoy: I will get the info to you, I promise.