Re: failed spiggot bush

To: buick <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: failed spiggot bush
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 18:12:47 -0500
I'd suggest that (assuming you are using the proper spigot bush) perhaps
your crankshaft pilot hole (where the bush is inserted) is oversized, or
off-center. I don't know the specifics of your motor, but if your crank
came from a car originaly equipped with an automatic transmission, it
probably didn't have the pilot hole drilled at the factory. It's
possible that the shop that modified the crank for a manual tranny may
have reamed/drilled/honed the hole just a little to big. Or even if it
did come drilled from the factory, it's possible that it was at the bad
end of factory tollerances. Either way, I'd pull the bush, and mic' it
and the hole. There should be at least a few thou' of interferance to
get a good press fit. If not, the bush WILL spin.
James J.
p.s. if there isn't enough interferance, any good machine shop should be
able to make you an oilite bushing just a few 'thou larger than the hole
I.D. That way you won't have to trash the crank.