Re: GM 4 bbl intakes

To: list@marketvalue.net
Subject: Re: GM 4 bbl intakes
From: Greg A Myer <motorhead45@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 12:56:49 -0400
Good question Larry,
           I also have two   4bbl manifolds.  Both different.
Intake casting # 1349520 has primary bore size of 1.35 inches
                                                  the secondaries are :
1.55 inches
I will be using the stock Rochester carb                  1.310 primary
throttle bore

                1.450 secondaries

the other manifold is casting # 581830X      Primary    1.450

Secondary    1.700

I believe either will feed a 215 just fine. I've port matched the smaller
one for my
Buick 215 going into a B GT.  The other will eventually go on a stroked
215.
The theory is that for street motors, smaller ports maintain mixture
velocity
thereby aiding low and midrange power ( that's where we play mostly )
   If the bores are larger than the carb sitting on them, opening them up
more
may hurt not only velocity, but distribution as well ( wet fuel falling
out of suspension
and onto the manifold walls as droplets )
          With larger cubes and lower gear ratios in the rear the motor
needs more
mixture, thus the larger manifold would probably work better under these
circumstances.
         Why 2 different manifolds ? I don't know. Any Historians out
there with the answer ?

                  Greg