Re: As ye plough, so shall ye r

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: As ye plough, so shall ye r
From: Michael Sands <sands@dnai.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 11:38:47 -0800
>Steve White replied:
>>The original Lotus used the front antisway bar for locating the top of
>>the front upright.  At some stage it was changed (around the series 3 or
>>4 ... or maybe it was a Caterham change) to an upper and lower wishbone
>>setup with a separate antisway bar.

This actually happened fairly recently at Caterham.  The De Dion rear axled
car also included this modification, although there were many kits, by
Prince and DSK that made the same conversion.  Caterham started this after
1993, I believe, but am uncertain about the date.

>Marty Wilson wrote:
>>>I have only run it in hillclimbs so far and the "turn in" on the corners
>>>doesnt seem too famous, it tends to understeer. I have been advised to dial
>>>in more negative camber and this will cure it.

Without knowning what tires and rims you are using, it is difficult to
recommend.  However as a starting point, I run 1.5 degrees negative camber,
0-2mm toe out(!), and 18 psi tire pressure.  I get 1.25 gees cornering, far
above the capabilities of the original Seven.  Perhaps I should not speak
here, given the name of the list!

The toe out, especially for autocrossing, preloads the side wall for
immediate turn in on the inside front tire, just before weight transfer
takes away its cornering power.

I am running 205 60x13 on 6 inch rims.  You can see a picture of my front
suspension on my Seven's page,

http://www.dnai.com/~sands/cars/seven/myseven/myseven.html

(take off the myseven stuff to get a more generic view of the Seven...)

Notice, my car has camber adjustment, and I can hear Colin turning over in
his grave...

Michael

Michael Sands      (408) 773-1170
sands@dnai.com    http://www.dnai.com/~sands/