Re: close ratio ford box

To: "marc nichols" <75273.2557@CompuServe.COM>,
Subject: Re: close ratio ford box
From: "Erik Berg" <Erik.Berg@trw.com>
Date: 24 Mar 1997 14:01:13 -0800
 Reply to:     RE>close ratio ford box

Howdy Marc, All.

Marc wrote:
> Aside from Quaiffe and Leeson internals, does anyone know a source for
> non-straight cut close ratio gear sets to fit the Ford 3 rail box, as =
fitted to
> Elans, Cortinas and 7s?

Dunno about helical cut gears specifically.  (Marc, is this for a road =
car?  If
so, disregard the following, because I assume you are inquiring about dog =

'boxes.)  Another source of Ford 3 rail close ratio widgets, is Jack =
Knight.

Todd Gerstenberger has a *5-speed* 3 rail Jack Knight dog 'box, which he
has sitting on the shelf, not committed to any of his cars at the moment. =

For a while I was considering buying this lump from him, but I have since =

concluded that it would be silly to have a dog 'box in a sometimes road
driven car.

You might want to talk to Todd.  He has done a lot of digging into 3 rail =
close
ratio gear sets, and he has a pretty thorough understanding of what is
available, and the advantages and disadvantages of each.  Todd seems to
prefer the Leeson.... I guess its major advantage is that you can change
individual ratios like a Hewland, because it uses a built-up layshaft.

Jack Knight have a web page:
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/pdpr/jkd.htm

Marc, give me a shout if you want contact info for Todd Gerstenberger.

Also have you checked with Dave Bean?

erik.berg@trw.com