suspension geometry - 2nd installment

To: "mods" <toyota-mods@cyberauto.com>, "kitracers" <kitracers@kcbbs.gen.nz>,
Subject: suspension geometry - 2nd installment
From: "phil.bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 97 20:14:01 PDT
Thanx for the excellent advice some of you have sent. Silly me deleted the
really good reply I got from someone off the mods list - please re-send,
whoever you were!

My main question is to do with lower arm length and geometry. The comment
that the arm should descend slightly to the strut - is this so that the
line between the actual ball joint and inner pivot bush is horizontal at
mormal ride height, or should even this line be descending, hence giving
increased camber to the outside wheel as the car initially goes into roll
when cornering, before extra compression starts to reduce camber? If I
figure this right, wouldn't this feature make the inner wheel change camber
even greater under droop as the weight transfers (granted the greater load
is on the outside wheel) and therefore assist in grip? How much is enuff!

As for arm length - short arms give greater camber change - is this good or
bad?! I am seriously considering fabricating lower arms with some degree of
adjustability. I will fabricate a cross member and engine mounts, so
anything within reason is possible.

I figure the only way I can control bump steer is to buld my own steering
arms (hence the capri struts - the arms bolt on - and my ackerman angle
queries) to ensure the steering arm ball joints are co-incident with the
control arm outer balljoint and the tie rod inner ball joint is in line
with the inner control arm pivot. (and hence the anti-dive question, to get
them all on the same plane - or at least as close as possible)

Steering will be rack and pinion - I was considering a mini rack housing
with herald rack and pinion inside (rack must sit behind axle centres -
hence the mini rack) however if i am fabricating steering arms then I may
as well use the toyota rack and shorten the arms to get the ratio
up.Comments?  Any thoughts on total turns lock to lock? I believe escort
quickracks were about 2 1/2 turns. Any thoughts?

FWIW I reckon the Anglia will weigh no more than 850 kg, and probably even
less.

Thanx again

Phil Bradshaw
Auckland NZ

Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve Lotus 7 Replica
Anglia 105GZE Supercharged 4AGZE Clubcar Project

phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
64-9-4455509 W/Fax
64-9-4437055 H