Restoration

To: "Chapman Era" <chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Restoration
From: "Andres Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 18:15:03 +0800
A general note to the Lotus and Chapman Era Lists:

Last Sunday, my Lotus Elan S4 (Type 45) attended its first club meet after a
long absence.  This was a milestone, since it marks the official completion
of its frame-off restoration, its second one in the 20 years I have owned
it.

Having noted that so many Lotuses (or Loti) have been "in restoration" for
five, six, or more years, with the light not yet in sight, I put together
the following summary of how long jobs took, with work done on the
occasional weekend (only the engine and differential were sent off to shops)
by someone trained in the wrong profession.

Month 1:   Remove headlamps, bumpers, etc., from car, thereby committing to
complete disassemby.  Take notes and photographs!

Month 2:  Body off the frame.

Month 3:  Engine, gearbox, differential, suspension removed from frame.
Remove whole assemblies!

Month 8:  Frame painted.

Month 13:  Suspension cleaned up, overhauled, painted, and installed on
frame.  Four wheels on!

Month 14:  Steering rack overhauled, painted, and installed.  Clutch
installed on gearbox.

Month 19:  Engine and gearbox installed in frame.  Headers on.

Month 26:  Body on the frame.

Month 27:  Hydraulics on.

Month 29:  First drive.  Restroration complete!

It can probably be done in a third of the time.

The hardest part is putting on your coveralls and going to the garage.
After that hurdle, it's actually fun.  As the ad says, just do it.  Good
luck!

Regards.

Andres
MSCC Manila