Re: C/V joints

To: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Subject: Re: C/V joints
From: Keith Gustafson <gusmach@shore.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 18:15:02 -0500 (EST)
>The "contemporary" racer's solution was to adapt 240Z half shafts;
>usually the Z's diff was installed, too, since the GT6's pumpkin
>was notoriously weak. Nowadays, it seems that some C/V joint solution
>is more appropriate.
>
>What do people use? Where do I start? I know nothing about CV joints... yet.

I would start by figuring out how long of a shaft you will need. If you have
1/2 plate adapters,that makes 1 inch to subtract, and the joints tend to
contract with deflection, so you probably have to add a bit to that. VW's,
fiats, BMWs and some others use bolt on joints, so the odds are good that if
you need a shaft length of at least 13 inches you could find a bolt in. The
shaft will need to extend past the face of the cv joint flange at its
shortest[bump in a lotus]in order to be long enough to reach in droop.