Report on First Race

To: "Chapman Era" <chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Report on First Race
From: "Andres Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 00:45:39 +0800
Hello to all. A short report on 45/8439's first historic race event.

On Nov. 21, we trailered 8439 (a 1969 Lotus Elan DHC) to Subic International
Raceway at Subic Freeport for the International Historic Races with the
Japan Classic Car Club.  Many on the List already know 8439's two-year
restoration was completed only last month to very mild racing spec. The car
in fact has remained quite driveable (and comfortable) and was a pleasure to
drive on the winding, seaside mountain
roads of the former U.S. naval base.  Yes, carpets, and even the electric
windows work!

My experience on the Subic track the last year has been in a TR4A, and, in
comparison, 8439 was quicker and more precise in the turns. The Quaife
limited slip seemed to be working very well, giving good grip when
accelerating out of the corners.  I felt no problems with the Hooke-jointed
intermediate shafts and limited-droop rear suspension.  The brakes were very
effective (I installed the larger 26R discs and aluminum AR calipers in the
front), but a premature brake burn-in at speed spun the car.  Thankfully, no
real damage.  The brakes felt much better after more cautious break-in, and
throughout three practice and race days (we get a lot of track time here),
the silicone brake fluid seemed OK.  The aluminum radiator also seems to be
working better than the original unit, as temperature remained at 80 to 85
degrees F even as we experienced a very warm weekend.

At for the race itself, I was running second in class, having good fun with
(and
overtaking) a surpisingly quick Porsche 912 and an Alfa 2000 GTV, when at
the last lap, my engine quit and I could not get it restarted.  Eventually,
we traced this to a defective rotor, but 8439 has always had problems with
ignition (hence my earlier query on Lumenitron and MSD systems).  I missed
the second  sprint, and ended up co-driving a Mini Cooper S in the Enduro (a
very entertaining car).

Post-race examination revealed some rubbing between tire and inner well
(8439 had an accident repair when I bought it 20 years ago, and there was
extra fiberglass in the damaged section).  The rear outer A-arm ends
rubbed the inner wheel rim, so we have to grind these back some more (the
rose-jointed A arms should provide the necessary clearance for 6-inch
wheels, but rose joints are illegal under FIA rules - and by the way so is
electronic ignition).  NGK BP8ES seem to be the correct plugs, and I will
try colder Champion N6YCs in later events.

Bright yellow with a white belly, 8439 attracted a lot of attention at the
paddock.  This is the first Lotus racing here in decades!  Spectators said
the car looked specially nimble and light, and scooted down the straights
like a shoe kicked off a foot.  The open pipe sounded good, too!  Quite
happy with the first event, and look forward to the coming season.

Regards to all.

Andres
MSCC, Manila