"Queer-box" transmission

To: "Chapman Era List" <chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: "Queer-box" transmission
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 21:33:27 -0600

While looking for something else entirely, I just came across
an old article on the constant-mesh spline-shifted
transmission that Lotus tried on formula cars.  (Road & Track
Aug '59)  The article alludes to it being an old design,
having been used as a truck transmission back in the 20s.  It
is the same principle as the 5 speed in my little Hodaka Ace
100 trail bike.  I'm  curious and I wonder if  it is has been
a commonly used transmission design in other
motorbikes/cycles?  Can some two-wheeler guy elaborate?

Tony