Re: "Queer-box" transmission

To: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: "Queer-box" transmission
From: Mike Causer <mikec@cam-ani.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 97 10:58:33 GMT
"Tony  Clark" wrote on Fri, 19 Dec 1997 -

> While looking for something else entirely, I just came across
> an old article on the constant-mesh spline-shifted
> transmission that Lotus tried on formula cars.  (Road & Track
> Aug '59)  The article alludes to it being an old design,
> having been used as a truck transmission back in the 20s.

Given its famous fragility, this seems rather improbable.

> It is the same principle as the 5 speed in my little Hodaka Ace
> 100 trail bike.  I'm  curious and I wonder if  it is has been
> a commonly used transmission design in other
> motorbikes/cycles?  Can some two-wheeler guy elaborate?

I haven't seen it in 'bike transmissiona, but I think ZF built
such a system for one of the small German cars of the '50s.
Gogomobile perhaps?

Mike

  Mike Causer -- Support Manager -- Cambridge Animation Systems
  Email: MikeC@cam-ani.co.uk             Phone: +44 1223 578100
  Web: http://www.cam-ani.co.uk/           Fax: +44 1223 578101