Re: M100 study group

To: Tony Clark <lotus.tony@airmail.net>,
Subject: Re: M100 study group
From: rodbean@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 07:38:44 -0700
Tony Clark wrote:

> there<<<
>
> For the record:
>
> Steve's "bigotry and insecurity note" was posted to the Chapman list at 4:43
> Friday.
>
> You posted:   "Okay, off with the gloves, I'll vote with Steve."   at  5:33
> Saturday

>  of enthusiasts who appreciate many of the same things as you<<<
>
> If you "kick my dog,"  it's hard to search out your better attributes  :-)
>
> Have you noticed how smooth the lists run 'til someone gets thinking his
> M100 could be glorified and enhanced by knocking the Chapman cars?
>
> Tony

That's really what it is.  It case it's escaped anyone, we don't usually
comment about the M100 at all anymore unless there are provocative comments
that force us to respond.

Gene, for your information, I (I'll just speak for myself, for the moment) was
very vocal in my criticism of the M100 when it first came out.  And a few years

ago, I was critical of it on the lotus-cars list.  Although there were some
emotional emails being thrown around, there were also more productive ones.

I had some long, serious and intellectually honest (on both sides) exchanges
with some list members, mostly M100 owners.  These discussions were not just
venting but explorations of truth wherever it would lay.  There were others,
including Tony, who were also critical of the M100 and had similar discussions.

At least, these discussions got most of the real points out into the open where

they could be debated in good faith.  Mostly, that's how it went.

Steve Brightman and I have had more exchanges than most.  Steve and Tony, as
friends (I think), seem to enjoy poking each other in the ribs about this
subject incessantly.  Steve enjoys poking me in the ribs about it too but my
preference, if there is a big, unresolved issue, is more toward serious
discussion with mutual respect (that is, trust that neither party is going to
"play to the crowd" in the manner of many politicians rather than risk losing a

point, if you know what I mean).

Steve even came west (I live in southern California) twice and we met, had some

fun gently poking each other in the ribs and during one trip, I gave him a ride

in CitroMike's M100 at Willow Springs Raceway (my first drive in one).  I had
hoped that we would be able to have a real conversation about all these things
but we never got around to it.

Back to the list and more fun and games.  Tony just gives it right back to
Steve but I don't enjoy being accused of narrow-mindedness and other things as
a substitute for serious discussion.

I had several long private exchanges with Steve to (if we couldn't actually
convince each other) at least bring these matters down to common denominator
permanent disagreements so that maybe we could lay it to rest and sort of refer

to the understanding we have if any of it comes up in the future (rather than
hashing it all out again publicly).

But Steve (and now, it appears, Richard Clifton...a new participant) just
enjoys putting out public exaggerations and implying things he knows (but the
public doesn't) are just so much trash.  He (as do, apparently, some others)
does it for fun.

As I say, Tony gives it right back and more power to him but that isn't my
style.  So for a while now, I haven't participated in the M100 exchanges that
still come up with regularity without me.  Actually, I haven't participated
much on the lotus-cars list either because the subjects are usually around cars

that aren't my primary interest (M100s and Esprits...Elises are wonderful but
they aren't available here).

Only when Steve attacked the motives of those of us on the chapman-era list
(and it was a personal attack, not a subject for debate) did I respond.

With all this background, I hope you'll better understand my motivations, even
if not agreeing with my point of view.

Rod