Re: S7s vs. Shelby day

To: Chapman Era List <chapman-era@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: S7s vs. Shelby day
From: Gene_Carter@avid.com
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 17:50:50 -0400

The Shelby Cobra Association of Texas (SCAT) held their 22nd Shelby Texas
Nationals October 21-24.  The event included track sessions at Motorsport Ranch
near Ft. Worth.  SCAT opened the track sessions to any sports car with a Ford
engine.  Naturally several of the Super 7 vintage racers in the area jumped at
the chance!  We ran in the race-prepared group with a herd of Mustangs (new and
vintage), Panteras, replica Cobras, and three Formula Fords.  The track sessions
were hot-lap practices rather than races and the 1.7 mile track is a fun layout,
a very technical track.

The SCAT group seemed to include some less experience drivers as evidenced by
the tail sliding and off-track excursions.  In their defense, the track surface
seemed to be a bit slippery.  It?s supposedly a modern material, as used on
Formula 1 tracks.  Perhaps it works best with modern slicks rather than treaded
street or competition tires.  I was running Yokohoma A008?s and found my car
sliding far more than usual.  No lap times were taken but suffice it to say that
the Super 7?s passed (and lapped) many cars and only the Formula Fords and a
Pantera with huge slicks seemed to be able to keep pace.  The Pantera was an
absolute rocket on the straights - no telling how much horsepower was generated
by its big V-8.  I'm guessing we opened some eyes - those funny looking little
British cars are fast!  Rod Bean is absolutely right, unless the track is
straight and long, quickness and agility will outrun horsepower every time!
(which is exactly why I bought the car)  Is that fun or what :-)

Gene

Motorsport Ranch is an interesting concept.  Members pay an initiation fee,
monthly dues and a session fee for each ½ hour track session.  Permanent garages
are available for rent.  Those who can afford this setting will have the chance
to enjoy their cars on a frequent basis. If you?re curious to know more, you
might visit their website http://www.motorsportranch.com/index.htm