Lotus Lists

To: Elton Clark <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Subject: Lotus Lists
From: RB <rodbean@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 16:52:37 -0700
Good for Alan.  He's got a point.  observers would be likely to get a
negative impression.

The real problem IMO, and this is the difficulty with almost any discussion
on the lotus-cars list, is that twenty years ago, Lotus people all had a lot
in common with respect to their automotive ideals.  Now, because cars
carrying Lotus badges are so diverse, so are the enthusiasts.  We can no
longer count on our little inside jokes about Lotus cars, British cars, UK
cottage industry quirks, etc. being universally understood or appreciated
among this broad group of Lotus enthusiasts.  Many of those Esprit people
take the "luxury" aspect of their cars verrrry seriously.  The idea of there
being a close family relationship to kit cars (a dirty word) sends some of
them into uncontrollable shivers (remember Tony?).

And that's before "fwd" and "Lotus" find themselves in the same sentence.
That is the double booster rocket that really fragments Lotus enthusiasts.

On the other hand, camaraderie with people who like Chapman era Lotuses,
Ginettas, TVRs, Elvas, ..even Morgans, is delightful because we seem to have
many basic interests in common.

That's why I like the lotus-elan, Elite and chapman-era lists.  If I still
had a Europa, I'd also lurk on that list too.  The more specific lists, I
believe, are where the original Lotus enthusiasts have gone.

Rod