CA Bill (AB 1390) to Destroy Pre-1970 Cars

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: CA Bill (AB 1390) to Destroy Pre-1970 Cars
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:55:43 -0700 (PDT)
Listers,

I've sent information on this anti-old car Bill (AB 1390) to thousands of
British Car owners around the west to get some action going to stop the
insanity. I got responses from all over California and a few from out of
state.  There is a report of what is happening in Texas at the bottom of
this email.

Santa Monica film score composer and Jag/Morgan/Triumph owner Peter Davison
called yesterday and told me he had contacted his Assemblyperson's office
and was told that it already passed the Assembly (as it has a AB number)
and will now be reviewed by the State Senate for approval and then off to
the Governor.  We need to write EVERYONE!!! Snail Mail is weighted heavier
than email so WRITE, WRITE, WRITE!!!  The addresses and e-mail addresses
are very easy to find, simply cut and paste the link below and enter your
zip
code to find your representative:

www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

The first letter explains the Bill and the best things there are to do -
feel free to contact me with any additional info or comments that you might
have.

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch
Automotive Journalist/Appraiser
Venice, CA

This email list is the California All British Car Meet promotional list -
If you want to unsubscribe, reply to this email with unsubscribe written at
the top of the body copy section - BUT REMEMBER, YOU WILL NOT GET ANY MORE
ADVANCED NOTICE OF CALIFORNIA BRITISH CAR EVENTS ANYMORE EITHER!!!

************************************

Subject: Re: CA Bill to Destroy Pre-1970 Cars Awaits Floor Action in Assembly

Hi Rick,

I just tracked this bill and read the full text of the amended legislation.
so far, the ayes far outweigh the noes.  My assemblyman has breakfasts once a
week where he meets with the rank and file and you can tell him what's on your
mind.  I plan on going to the next one in two weeks.

Fortunately for me, he voted no on the bill, and I voted for him in the last
election, so I have a pretty good opportunity to be heard.

This bill allows car makers to contribute up to $20 million for a pre '70 buy
back program.  The program gives $2,500 credit for a new or used car to anyone
who turns in a pre-70 car.  Imagine, turn in your 67 Minor or Spridget and get
$2,500 in credit!  Why sell it to someone for a $1,000 or less when there
is that
big credit out there.

This affects us all, not just those in the Golden State.  All of you who have
come to get a rust free car or want rust free body panels or parts are affected
also.  All the LBC owners in the state should preferably snail mail
(carries more
weight with the suits) or e-mail your rep.  The addresses and e-mail addresses
are very easy to find, simply cut and paste the link below and enter your zip
code to find your representative:

www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

If a State Assemblyman received five original letters from his constituents
regarding this it might be enough to change his mind.  Wouldn't hurt for
the rest
of you to send an e-mail also.

Steve
"Swift Justice" <samesq@pacbell.net>

I find myself in a position where I have to sell my Morris Minor. Suddenly I
wonder if anyone is going to be interested in buying it. Anyway, I did not read
this in the proposed legislation but could this automotive purge extend to
private owners as a requirement? I am sickened at the thought of having to turn
over Moggy to some government sanctioned car crusher. Perhaps we are  to have
an antique car resistance movement? I can see people hiding Lamborghinis and
57' Chevys out of California into Oregon and Nevada and over the Canadian
border.

mecaster <mecaster@pacbell.net>

This sort of "Car burning" already exists in Germany and other countries in
Europe. They not only refuse to license them for the road, they also offer
incentives for owners to send them to the wrecking yards, in the form of
new car discount vouchers.

Only if your car has a Historic vehicle number does it stand a chance of
being saved. I am all for removing dangerous gas guzzling gross polluting
and unsafe vehicles from the streets, but where do you draw the line?
regards and thanks for the info,

"Jack Molinier" <mrporsche@earthlink.net>

Richard;

While not in California, this proposed bill disturbes me as Texas is wont
to follow Calif in every mistake the Golden State makes. If possible, could
you add me to some e-mail list, or tell me "where" I might subscribe to
one, to be continiously updated on measures
such as AB 1390?

Unlike others that may own one or two "pre-'70's" cars, ALL ten of mine
are, including daily drivers..  I wouldn't own a Honda if it was given to
me! ;-}

I would appreciate any information..
                     Thanks.
                            Charles E. Bishop.
                            From The Jag-Lovers "XK-List".
                            BISHOP-13@att.net

Richard;

Right after I sent you my post, I received an e-mail from another
"XK-Lister" who sent me the SEMA web address.I pulled the press release
off the site and copied it below..

I'm sure SEMA is or will be involved with the "fight" in Calif,
apparently their lobbying efforts paid off here in Texas..  I didn't even
know we had a proposed bill before the '99 Texas Legislature about this
"Scrappage" crap..  I'm usually better informed than that..  It could come
up again this year.. we'll have to see.

I appreciate your "heads-up" to the J-L XK-List on the events in Calif..
                           Charles.

July 9, 1999.
TEXAS SCRAPS SCRAPPAGE BILL: SEMA, HOBBYISTS CELEBRATE

Washington, D.C.-- Despite the efforts of a determined Texas legislator, a
bill to implement a vehicle scrappage program died in committee when the
legislature concluded its 1999 session. The measure also threatened to
expand the state's emissions inspection program to include vehicles up to 35
model years old.

Bill sponsor and Chairman of the House Environmental Regulation Committee
Rep. Warren Chisum (R-88) made three unsuccessful attempts to pass the
measure. The bill was beaten back by a coalition of resolute opponents that
included the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), the SEMA Action
Network and automotive service and inspection professionals.

As in other states, the Texas proposal provided for the assignment of
emissions reduction credits to businesses that crushed older cars. In
slamming the bill, SEMA alerted lawmakers that older cars are infrequently
used, generally well maintained and poor targets for emissions reductions.

SEMA Director of State Relations Steve McDonald commented, "All mobile
source emissions reduction programs should be carefully developed to achieve
real environmental benefits while keeping the impact on businesses and the
public as low as possible. This scrappage for credits program certainly does
not meet that criterion."

Because the Texas legislature does not meet in consecutive years, the next
possible opportunity for scrappage proponents to re-introduce this bill is
the year 2001.

SEMA is a trade group comprised of more than 3,500 member companies that
make up the specialty automotive aftermarket industry. The seven diverse
niches in which SEMA members specialize include light-truck, off-road,
racing and performance, street rod and restoration, and restyling. All
combined the markets add up to $21.2 billion in retail business annually.
.