RE:H20 Block

To: "'Datsun'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE:H20 Block
From: "Lahtinen, Marko" <MARKOL@isr.gov.au>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 08:39:39 +1000
Gary

I guess you would only do it if the R16 block was stuffed.  With a smoking
R16, I have been looking at the R16/H20 issue for a while from all angles
and have ended up with two possibilities for me.  1.  I have my R16 rebuilt
as stock.  2.  I have my R16 rebuilt with H20 internals for what I expect
will be more power than a stock R16.   Both will cost and the decider will
be how well the H20 powerband matches the ratios of the gearbox.  Anyone?

When you said swapping the blocks, did you have in mind putting in the H20
block with its internals and then adding all the R16 externals to it (head,
fuel pump, timing chain cover and the like) which makes it look like a R16?
That will give you all the benefits of a H20 while keeping it all looking
like an R16.  What I do not know is how well the H20 takes to the 1600
gearbox, ie. do the boxratios match the H20 powerband well.

my two cents worth

marko
64 1500 with R16
canberra australia