it doesn't look right

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: it doesn't look right
From: "Sochoux, Stephan" <SSochoux@dbc.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 21:27:55 -0700
Greetings,

I just pulled my rear axles to replace the seals to fix my greasy/oily brake
situation. Thanks to Tom's tech tip, it was very easy. Surprisingly, the
axles came out without applying any force (they basically popped out) as
soon as  the four nuts on the back plate were removed. There were no shims
either. In the shop manual, there are a packing grease catcher, a seal
grease and a spacer that fit between axle case and the bearing. From what i
could tell, they are missing. Is it possible ? There is roughly a 1mm gap
between the bearing and the back plate. Check out the axle pics at
http://beta.homestead.com/ssochoux/axle.html and let me know what you
think..

Thanks a bunch,

Stephan