Re: Brake caliper question...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Brake caliper question...
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 13:49:00 -0700
You should put some lubricant on the piston/cylinder. But not any
lubricant. There's a special formulation just for use in brakes. It comes
with rebuild kits.

I've been told it's no use cleaning up and rebuilding slaves and master
cylinders. Mine were gunked up and pitted. Been using the brakes and clutch
fine for the last six months since the cleanup. I think the lubricant
helped!

As Phil mentioned, check the hydraulics (hose etc.) for a blockage. I'm thinking
maybe you have a bad valve in your master cylinder. The relief valve is spring
loaded so it keeps pressure on the fluid when you press on the brake pedal, but
opens access to a hole that lets the fluid drain through when you let off the
brake pedal. You may have sediment in the master cylinder that is blocking the
action of this spring loaded valve.

Fred - So.SF
BADROC