This list helps prevent headaches!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:14:59 -0700
Hi all,

Just wanted to mention that I really enjoy the Datsun roadster list and
what I've learned in the last couple years. One of those items is mention
of spinning up the oil pump before starting an engine that's had no oil
circulation.

Like after a rebuild, or just sitting around for years.

My next-door neighbor Joe has a '69 Mustang sitting in his garage for over
20 years. He got a "mechanic" friend to work on it over the weekend, and
Joe was proud to mention this "mechanic" got it to start up.

I asked Joe if the mechanic used a hand-drill to spin up the oil filter to
circulate the oil first. Joe says "No. Oh, he says he's a professional
mechanic so he knows what he's doing. I trust him." I asked Joe if they had
any problems. "Well, the only thing is I had to clean up all this oil in
the garage. There was no oil filter on the engine, so it was squirting all
over the place when we started it up."

Ouch! Some mechanic! I didn't say another word.

Fred - So.SF