Re: 2L Valve/Piston Clearance

To: "NATHAN J RUFFCORN" <NRUFFCORN@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: 2L Valve/Piston Clearance
From: "Michael A. Unger" <munger@vims.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:18:22 -0400
Nathan: From your message I'm guessing you have set up the timing chain per
specs w/o head gasket and aren't checking clearances with a dial indicator
at max valve lift. In reality your valve timing is way off due to the fact
that the head is 50-60 thou closer to the block and the tensioners have to
take out the slack. Use the clay and an old head gasket and your clearances
will probably check out to be more reasonable.

Mike

At 01:44 PM 5/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey All-
>I'm looking for some advice on my 69 2L head.  The head has been set on the
>block and the timing has been set (without head gasket).  As of right now
>there is only .005 valve/piston clearance.  I'm getting molding clay tonight
>and will double check tomorrow morning.  I was reading earlier posts that
>noted that .090 was the beginning acceptable range for the pushrod 1600.  Is
>this going to hold true for the 2L also?  It also mentioned that the head
>gasket adds about .060?
>
>If this is a definite problem, as I fear it is, what solutions are there.
>Thanks for the advice as I don't want any "custom" valve reliefs added to my
>new pistons upon initial start up!!  :-)
>
>Thanks!
>
>Nathan

Michael A. Unger
Department of Environmental Sciences