Cruising Speed & Alignment

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cruising Speed & Alignment
From: "Ron & Julie Edgar" <rvedgar@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 16:26:06 -0400
> Hey guys, my friend is gonna be doing a x-country drive from new haven, CT
> the bay area, CA after her graduation. I was wondering if anyone who's
made
> such a trip (tom p??) could part with some advice on what route to take,
> things to look out for, cool spots to check out, etc...? I appreciate the
> help. I'm still looking forward to making my x-country trip sometime soon!

Glad you started this thread Van as I have some questions also.

Just completed my 1600  http://personal.mia.bellsouth.net/mia/r/v/rvedgar/
I plan to drive to Gainesville to see my Dad and older two sons in the next
few months (300 one way)   . I have put approx. 500 miles on my car in the
last 2 weeks. The car is running almost perfect   Tires are new, steering
has the minimum 1" of play, computer alignment is the best the shop could
do.  Camber is .2deg left, .9deg right.   Caster is 1.5deg left, 1.2deg
right.   Toe is -.01deg left, .07deg right.  This is very close to spec.

So why at 65 to 70 do I fell like its not stable??  Is it just that I have
forgotten how much a small 2000lb car can be blown around or do I need more
adjustment???  The tech said he could adjust it more but that  I would get
more tire wear.  Should these  roadsters cruise at 70 with very little
steering adjustment or do you need to be
correcting for wind and road continually at speeds over 55 ???  I love the
car it is a hoot to drive and at 45 to 55 its one hand and relaxed.  At 70
its two hands and not relaxed which on a long trip could prove very tiring
and frustrating.  Feed back please.

Ron Edgar
68-1600