Re: An upper control arm suspension question.

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, richard@u.arizona.edu
Subject: Re: An upper control arm suspension question.
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Thu, 27 May 99 16:48:31 CDT
Richard,

Of general interest, I stopped by my local metal scrap yard
yesterday. I am always looking for 6061-T6 end pieces.

In the process of scouting the yard, was a VG30T engine
sitting there. Hmm, the end of the crankshaft failed in
shear! Wish I had a magnifying glass, as I was curious
to see the root failure, but it was a one time overload.
Hmm, wonder if someone tried out a 50 psi turbo!

Oh, of the failure, only reason I could see, with the
naked eye, was the failure started at the oil passage
hole to the last bearing. Shear was at a 45 degree
to the crankshaft plane. Interesting to observe.

When I was at Cal Poly (California Polytechnic - San Luis
Obispo) I enjoyed playing in the metals lab. Lots of
fun stuff. Wouldn't mind a hardness tester at home to
check out those bolts!

HEY FOLKS - The upper bolts are 7/16-20tpi. The AN7 just
means a 7/16" bolt. I do not recall the length needed,
but would recommend double nutting the bolts. Yep, had
a 'clunk, clunk' on the front end... shims had fallen
out! Loose bolt.

Cheers,

Tom Walter  '67 2000
Austin, TX  '68 2000