Gas tank repair

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gas tank repair
From: Steve Harvey <stevenh@execpc.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:11:09 -0500
Hello all:
I replaced my 2000 gas tank with my 1600 (rebuilt 3 years ago) tank. The
changeover went off without any trouble. I used a suction pump to start
the gas flow although I do miss the mouth full of gas that I would get
as a youth!
The car started right up and ran fine for several miles and then it
died. I checked the fuel filter and found it to be very dirty. I managed
to get home after starting the car about 20 times. I replaced the fuel
filter and took it for another ride. Same thing; the engine died and the
car started backfiring. I checked the fuel filter again and it was full
of black stuff. My next move was to run new rubber gas line from the
tank to the fuel pump. Now I have a clear fuel filter and it is
completely full of gas. Before it seemed to only have about half of the
glass bowl filled with gas. Could I have had a lose hose which was
causing air to get into the fuel line? I'm sure the other problem was
that the original steel gas line was corroded and causing the black
stuff.
Steve Harvey
68 2000 solex
70 1600