1st gear getting 'funny' (oops kinda long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 1st gear getting 'funny' (oops kinda long)
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:56:18 -0700
Hello All,

        So, yesterday was my girlfriends 28th b-day.  I had to pick her up
from the airport  because she had spent the weekend down south at her
10 yr high school reunion.  We took the scenic route home from SFO.  About
half way home I pulled over at the beach and hopped out..
        'Whats going on???', girlfriend says.
        'I thought I would let you drive the rest of the way home.', I say..
        'Are you serious??'
        'Yep, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!'
She slides into the drivers seat puts the car in 'first' and... stalls it...
and stalls
it and stalls it.... She finally gets it going by SLIIIDING the clutch ALOT!!
I finally
figured out what she was doing. She was starting off in 3rd!!!! gear...sheesh.
Everytime we came to a light she would stall stall, SLIIIIDE the clutch and we
were off... She looked scared to death the  entire time!!!  But we made it
home in one piece and I don't think she will EVER ask to drive it again (thank
god).
        Today I am driving around town and and.. 1st gear is hard to find
sometimes???  Most of the time it just pops right in but sometimes it just
won't go??? I feel like I have to force it WAY more than I am comfortable
with??  All the other gears are fine jsut first is now kinda funky???
You peoples have any ideas???
                Thanks,
                Daniel 69 2000\
                SF CA