Solid State Instrument Voltage Regulator

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solid State Instrument Voltage Regulator
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 13:27:45 -0800
I built a solid state instrument voltage regulator similar to the one
described in Tom's post below. I added a 1K ohm 15 turn trim pot so I
could calibrate the temp and fuel guages (V-out is adjustable from ~7.5
to 8.25V).  The regulator works great except I keep blowing the V-output
capacitor. I'm using a 1.0uf (tant. 35V) cap, all other components are
the same except the diodes (adjust to V-out and V-out to V-in) which are
IN4003's because that's all I could find. TIA for the help.
Todd Osborn
San Jose, CA
68 2.0Lx2

>From Tom Walter:
I am working on a solid state replacement but don't have a good unit to
compare with.

Charlie,

There have been a few versions of the solid state regulator made up.  I
posted the version below, to which Lou in Australia pointed out a LM7808
(fixed regulator) would have saved me a few resistors. ;-)

Barrie reported his roadster "liked" 7.3 volts, someone else cameback
with 7.6 volts, and my
car seemed to prefer closer to 8.0 volts for a fixed voltage to replace
the mechanically instrument voltage regulator.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Tom