Shimming

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Shimming
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 20:42:01 EST
Hello,

I am right in the middle of replacing the brake master to a new Nissan unit.
Just to make a quick update, the unit that I am replacing wore out
prematurly.  It only lasted about 1 1/2 years, 10 thousand miles or so.
Anyway, based on the info from Roadster Master Ross at Sports Imports it
appears that I may have installed tha last unit incorrectly.  He told me that
the unit needs to be shimmed so that the plunger moves in the barrel freely
and straight.  When I looked at my master I saw that it was slightly tilted
upwards.  Meaning that over constant use the plunger would have worn out the
seal by dragging over the bottom of the barrel.

My question is about shimming.  I dont have any.  ;>)  Can I use washers?  My
thought would be that washers would eventually push into the firewall over
time.  I am also using one of Stans great brake braces.

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex

Dont forget to visit my new website!
http://members.aol.com/calspeed/index.html