epoxy story

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: epoxy story
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:18:20 EST
Might as well tell my epoxy story. Shortly after buying my big ugly red dodge
power wagon I replaced the engine with a remanufactured 318. Put it all
together, filled it up with coolant and fired it up. It immediately started
leaking from the front of the block. After removing about everything on the
front of the engine I found the leak. Someone had broken one of the ears off
the front of the block creating a hole into a water jacket. The rebuilders
had done a wonderful job of welding up the hole grinding it off, drilling and
tapping a new hole. One small problem, the weld was porous so water seeped
through it. So I emptied out all of the coolant, attached a vacume cleaner to
the cooling system, smeared epoxy over the porous area. The vacume of course
sucked the epoxy through the pores. After about three layers it stopped
sucking in epoxy.  The fix worked great.

                       kw