Re: SU velocity stacks

To: "Sochoux, Stephan" <SSochoux@dbc.com>,
Subject: Re: SU velocity stacks
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:08:21 -0600
>The recent thread on stacks revived my interest in getting some for the SUs.
> I looked at TWM, APT, ITG, K&N, the SU tech pages, and re-read an old post
>from Marc Sayer on the subject and I must admit that i'm more confused than
>ever.
>What is the best setup for SUs ?  Which stacks and which filter ? Anyone
>running a set ?

What you're primarily doing with any stack is smoothing the flow of air
into the carb throat. Some folks feel there's some tuning benefit to be
had in using longer stacks to help low end, shorter to help higher revs.
Marc (this is off the top of my head) says there's really not much/if any
difference. As long as the stack is well matched to the carb throat and
has a smooth radius to promote good flow, any length is much better than
none.

Having said that, I'd say pick the filters that give you the largest area
that fit easily in your installation. As I said, I have the billet stubby
stacks and 3 (3 1/2?) by 6 round K&N's for the 38mm SU"s for my street
510. These might be too tall for a roadster.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)