Re: u-20 and 5speed mount in '67 1600

To: datsun-roadsters-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: u-20 and 5speed mount in '67 1600
From: MMccaf8697@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:11:41 EST
I think I recall reference to a person that aquired a 1600 with the U20 and 5
speed swapped into it.  If I recall correctly, the new owner discovered that
the transmission was not mounted to the frame cross member.  I think I am in
the same situation with my newly aquired '67 1600 with U20 and 5speed.  With
the shift cover plate off the tunnel, I don't see any method of mounting the
trans to the frame.  Also, if the engine idles roughly as on cold start
without sufficient choke enrichment, the lever shakes severely from side to
side and I can see the rear of the trans moving side to side.  Question:
Assuming there is no mount how can I fabricate one?  Does the engine/trans
have to be removed to install a mount?
Hope someone can help,
Mark McCafferty.