bolts and studs

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: bolts and studs
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 18:29:52 -0800
Hello ALL,
        Damn I have the worstluck with bolts and studs.  I am fixing to
install my GM one wire alt. in thhe 68 engine.. Great the big upper bolt is
long enough.. but the bottom stud ant bolt that hold the triangle bracket to
the engine need to be about 20mm longer.. The bolt/stud are standard pitch
8mm things.... Here's the catch.. I can not find these in 120mm length?? Why
do I have this luck... The bolt size andn thread is almost 5/16 fine.. but not
quite...I am thinking about drilling out the threads and tapping for a 3/8-16
bolt which can easily find in the ~4.5 inch size I need.  Does anybody know if
this is a disasterous idea???  I almost jus twant to try to jam the 5/16 fine
bolt in there but knowing my luck it would get stuck half way and break off
and I woudl have to use a #@%#@% easy-out (yea right) to extract it...
        Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
                Thanks,
                        Daniel 69 2000