Re: Terminal Velocity - Roadster Style!

To: Magic1910@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Terminal Velocity - Roadster Style!
From: Jsk977@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 01:07:36 EST
A question for all the folks reporting top speed. Are these spedo readings or
are they calculated ? ( variables are overall gear ratio, tire dia. and RPM)
spedos are notoriousley inaccurate at higher speeds.  I'm curious to know
what rear axle ratios and RPMs everybody was turning.

                       RPM
Speed =   ______ _________     X  Tire Dia.
        336 x overall gear ratio

Back in the late 60s my C Production Solex would reach around 7000 rpm in 5th
on the main straight at Bridgehampton (over 3000 ft, but slightly uphill)
before having to lift for turn one. With a 4.38 rear and 5.00/8.30 x 14
Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Specials with a  23.8" dia. equating to
133mph, later with a 4.62 rear it would pull to around 7300 rpm before
lifting equating to 131.5 mph. If memory serves me right, Bob Sharp was
turning over 7500 at the same spot.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311 - 00099