Re: Starting an engien that has sat.

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starting an engien that has sat.
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 20:55:09 -0800
Here's what I usually do for my Spring startup procedure:

Drain the old oil (even if it has 10 miles on it, there will be condensation)
Pull the cam cover and pour two or three quarts of oil directly over the cam and
down the chain.
Replace the cam cover and add the rest of the oil.
Disconnect the wire from the coil to the points.
Pull the spark plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders.
Crank the engine over with the plugs still out (no compression pressure means
less pressure on dry bearings, also higher cranking rpm).
Crank until you see oil pressure start to come up on the gauge (don't crank for
more than 15-20 sec at a time).
Replace the spark plugs, hook up the point wire, prime the carbs and light it
off.

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org