Re: SU-Solex conversion questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU-Solex conversion questions
From: Ken Savage <ksavage@mail.sdsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:24:40 -0600
At 03:40 PM 12/16/99 , you wrote:
>Hello All,
>       I have some questions regarding switching from my 69 SU 2000 to the
>68 Solex 2000 (canadian, I say canadian cause I dont know if there are any
>differences between the 68 American version)
>       1.  There does not appear to be a provision for the return fuel line
>on my 69. Was this jsut a smog engine only thing??

Don't know if it was smog or what.  My 69 has a return line that was
plugged when I got it.  It had SUs for a couple of years and Solex since.
Never had any problems.

>       2. What do I do with the crankcase breather hose?? There is not a
>port to hook it to in the aircleaner.

The factory Solex does have a port.  At least the one I have does, are
there more than one "factory" Solex aircleaner ?
I'm using K&N units so no port for breather, just a small filter on the
breather hose.

>       3. Whats the deal with the chokes on this car?? I have the dual
>choke cabel from the su's but it appears that the solex's only use one??

Yes, only one for the Solex.  Is there a "factory" choke cable for the
Solex cars ?  I don't remember offhand what I did, either cut one cable off
or curled it up under the dasd  or what ?

>       4. and a million other questions I will have shortly...
>
>       Wow FINALLY got the new clutch in and the exhaust header, carb
>manifold and carbs on the engine.  Attached the trans to the engine and
>it looks pretty good.
>       Took me 20 minutes to get the trans fill plug unscrewed... Somebody
>had it so tight that I had to use vice grips and a 3 foot breaker bar to
>loosen it..It was so tight it squeled when I loosened it... If i ever find
>the 5 min oil change pump jockey with the air ratchet that did that....
>
>               Thanks,
>                       Daniel 69 2000

Hopefully my spring project will be getting the roadster back on the road,
but then I've been saying that for years.
Excuse used to be space, time, and money.  Space is not a problem anymore.
Money is so so, but time is still a biggie.

Ken '69 2L