Re: SU carb fuel fitting question

To: "Christopher Coker" <cfcoker@home.com>,
Subject: Re: SU carb fuel fitting question
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 22:19:02 -0600
>Does anyone know the thread diameter and pitch for the inlets to the float
>bowls on our SU carbs?  I'm assuming 1600 and 2k are the same, but I'm more
>interested in the 1600s.   I need to fix a few 'sins' of the previous owner
>on the race car.  I'm probably going to go with banjo bolts directly to
>braided line, if I can find the right fittings.

Chris,

A friend of mine who manages a race prep shop here cautioned me not to
use braided hose and AN fitting on SU's. He said that the stiff braided
hose can put a lot of stress on the float bowl mounting point/connection
with the carb body as an engine moves. You don't have the same problem
with the Solex types since the float chamber is not separate.

In either case you're not looking at much fuel pressure, so using more
flexible fuel line and worm gear clamps should be fine. There is no
denying the fact that a clean engine compartment looks even more trick
when plumbed completely in the braided hose.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
ron510@mac.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)