Filling Oil Filters with oil

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Filling Oil Filters with oil
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 00 11:50:10 CST
Over the weekend, a friend stopped by my garage, and was 'observing'
while I changed the oil.

What I didn't realize, nor really had thought about, was the bit about
filling an oil filter before putting it back on the car. Comment was
you could not "fill" filter before installing it.

Easy, with the filter sitting on the top of the can, just pour new oil
into its center hole. Wait a few minutes for the level to go down,
and keep refilling it.  Once the element and housing are fully saturated
you can flip the filter over and install it on the roadster with little
leaking out. OK, some does come back out the center tube... but not much
compared to the half quart of oil you poured into the filter!

When you restart the engine after the oil change, pressure builds up
faster as you are not filling an empty oil filter. As Gordon commented,
just do not use the choke when first cranking the engine, so it will
have full oil pressure before firing up (thanks for the tip Gordon).

For something so simple and easy, thought I might as well make mention
of it!

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.