motor oils part 2

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: motor oils part 2
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:36:55 -0600
I have received a lot of comments on oils, so I will try and cover some the
concerns/comments.

I listed multi grade oil break down at 1000 to 2000 miles.  This is for the
junk oils found at circle K for a dollar.  A good name brand oil will last
3000 miles without too much break down.  This is for mineral grade oils -
synthetic oils meet government viscosity tests for ratings without adding
thickeners like polymer chains.

Guys here at work run synthetics in motors that have 140,000 to 170,000
miles  on them without any more oil consumption them normal.  I believe that
you will get a slight increase in consumption in older motors because the
synthetic are very slippery and can get by old rings easier.  In these cases
going to a 15w-50 may help, but this is not a reason not to use synthetics.
Older motors need the extra protection.  At running temperature a synthetic
will maintain its viscosity, where a mineral oil viscosity is DRASTICALLY
REDUCED.

A test on how well synthetics work at different temperature can be done in
your home.   Get a quart of your favorite mineral oil and a quart of a
synthetic.  Put a cup a each oil in a glass or paper cup and stick in the
freezer over night.  In the morning try and pour the oils out.   Next test:
DO THIS OUTSIDE.  On an old camp stove put a ¼ of the synthetic oil in an
old frying pan and put it on the stove on the highest heat setting.  Cook
for 30 minutes.  Now cook your oil for 30 minutes.  At this point you will
see why you cooked the synthetic first.  As the oil cooks pour some out to
see the changes in viscosity between the oils.

Part 3 on oil additive coming soon.  I need to back to NASA work.

Phil Hall
66 1600