Re: roadster performance exhaust

To: aryasu19@idt.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: roadster performance exhaust
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:04:05 EST
Mine is not complete yet, but here is what I have found
by talking to many, many different folks.   The stock
4 into 2 into 1 exhaust manifold is OK, not too much to
be gained with a header.  The stock 1.75 pipe, muff, and
resonator is restrictive.  The biggest pipe that will
fit, with light tapping, thru the frame holes is 2 inch,
which is a great size for a free flow 1.6 or 2.0
engine.  Mine is going to be 2 inch pipe with
a 14 inch long glasspack where the normal muff
used to be.  This is better than a cherry bomb,
its 2inch all the way thru, and the perforations
are spiral wound and bent away from the gas flow.
(no name brand from North Carolina that my
muff guy gets).  14 inch is as long as will fit,
and a 12 inch would be easier.  This part
of the system is built, and boy is it loud,
but nice and deep also.  When the
car is drivable, its going to see the muff guy
and he will bend the tail pipe and put another
14 inch glass pack where the resonator used
to be, so will be quiet enough to not attract too
many police, yet still very high performance.
Also, nice and cheap, with the whole thing
costing about 125.  The only extra I might think
about would be a braided flex between the
header or manifold and the header pipe,
as there is not much pipe length to take up
the movement of the engine in her mounts
before the first frame hole, which becomes
non-moving with a 2 inch pipe.  I can see
something suffering fatigue failure here.
Hope this helps,
Jim
67 pushrod 2L
Chesapeake Va