Re: Alternate Alternator

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, stevenh@execpc.com
Subject: Re: Alternate Alternator
From: Mark <captainhoek@postmark.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 10:08:29 -0600

Thomas Walter wrote:

> Not sure where I stored that original write up, but this should cover it.
> A friend ignored the advice on fusible links. Claimed he dropped in a
> 60 Amp Alternator, and no problem. Stock wiring and everything worked
> just fine.  You guessed it, five years later he was looking for a new
> wiring harness. Seems his got a little toasted!

One additional note to Tom's excellent post:  Any new loads (fog lights, higher
output headlights, stereo amps, etc.) really should not be run on the original
wiring.  Much better to run separate power leads with relays and fuses as
needed.  For headlights or trailer lights you can use the original
circuit to trip a relay so that you don't need extra switches but don't stress
the original wiring.  Don't know how?  Just ask.  Some of us know carburetors,
some of us know tires, some of us know electrical.  We're all glad to help.

Unless you've completely re-wired your car, that wiring is OLD.  And it was
never designed to handle today's higher loads.  Don't push it.  You can do a
standard cassette player with no problem - anything more than that (like
trailer lights!!!) should be run on a separate circuit.  Tom's
recommendation for wire gauges are excellent, but remember, when it doubt,
bigger is better.  Car fires are not fun.

And, yes, I've run off at the mouth quite enough for one day, so I'll shut up
now!

Mark van der Hoek
Houston, for now.

--