Re: Alternate Alternator

To: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter), datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Alternate Alternator
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:11:41 -0800

At 9:29 AM -0600 1/30/00, Thomas Walter wrote:
>Steven,
>
>I've written up about using the one wire alternators in the past.
>I know there are at least EIGHT people who have done the installation,
>and was hoping they would pass along the information.

Hah, no guilt this time as I have been offline for a while.
Let me add my  two cents
I bought a Summit 100amp alt.  It was brand new and it is working great.  I
think that it  cost about 100 bucks.  I am not sure what the reason was for
not using anything above 60 amps  I have it hooked up as Tom suggested
except that I use fuses instead of fusible links.
You will need to buy longer bolts to hold the triangle mount out far enough
to work.  DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. The new alt is going to be much heavier and
if you do not support the front of it the long bolt holding it will SNAP!!!  I
belive that that its M8 in size.  I could not find bolts long enough to
fit so I bought some metric threaded rod, cut it to fit and double nutted one
end to make a
bolt.
                Daniel 69 2000