RE: Truth in advertising!

To: "'Paul.Kort@marconimed.com'" <Paul.Kort@marconimed.com>,
Subject: RE: Truth in advertising!
From: Michael Landskroner <Mlandskroner@mlg.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:35:19 -0500
A few years ago someone left a note on my roadster during Vintage
Weekend @ Lime Rock telling me he had 2 2Ls he wanted to sell. I called
him and he told me they were unused for about 15 years, in good shape
and mostly stored in a garage, however for the last 3 years they were
stored outside. Excitedly I drve to Athol, MA about 200 miles from my
house w/visions of a "gold" find.

We went to where they were stored, outside the back of a barn under
tarps that he hadn't removed since he put them there. We lifted the
tarps and he was shocked, as I was, at how fast rust can form and take
hold. Originally he wanted $2000 for the pair, but after examining them
I made an offer of $500 for the pair. He refused the offer.

The next year he left another note on my car and said he accepted the
offer. I told him since there was another year of rust I would offer him
$400 for the pair. This time he accepted.

Going up there w/tools I had hoped to be able to use one of the engines
and transmissions in my car. Unfortunately neither engine was good and
after getting the trannies home I discovered the 4th gear gears were
eatin up in one and the other was worked on by dubious mechanics.

Additionally, one of the cars had a 1600 radiator  w/some kinda weird
set up to put antifreeze in (I found out about this after slicing open
the hood with my circular saw because the hood release was rusted shut).

Fortunately and amazing to me, the chrome on one of the cars was still
good w/ a mint 2L grill and some extremely straight bumpers, a new
exhaust and several other nice pieces. One of the tubs was not rusted
but looked like the front end was in a demolition derby,. I couldn't get
anybody to come and get it even for free and thus both cars were crushed
after I took off what I could w/ the time I had.

Mike