RE: FW: Datsun For Sale

To: "'Steve Harvey'" <stevenh@execpc.com>
Subject: RE: FW: Datsun For Sale
From: Andrew Murphy <andrew.murphy@integtech.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 16:28:27 -0800
List,

What's up with the all the trashed cars with inflated asking prices? I often
wonder (don't we all) what my car is really worth. Yes, I have a 67.5 2000
Solex car. The body is straight with just some surface rust. The paint is
crap and the interior is non-existent. I am not ashamed to say at this point
that after purchasing the car and putting all of the money I needed to get
it running and back onto the street, I am into it for 8.5 k.

Now most of you have seen pictures of my car. The shape it is in now would
not be worth 8.5 k on the open market. It wouldn't matter anyway, because
this car is not for sale. It means more to me than the money. I know you can
relate. Even after the restoration is over, the car will probably top out at
around 15-20K (if I do the full restore). Believe me it will cost A LOT more
than that to get everything done.

Kelly Blue Book doesn't go that far back and there are so many variables
that it is almost impossible to put a set price on a car. So someone who has
a 70 1600 with a totally caved in back end feels they can get 1500.00 for
it. Sid Raper has told me stories of his quest for a 67.5 2000 that has led
him to a pile of rust held together with bondo and the guy wants 2000.00 for
it. When we sell cars, we have the right to ask whatever we want, but for
Pete's sake let's be reasonable. I can't believe how many stories I have
read about people driving hundreds of miles to look at rusting hulks that
the owner lists as "needs minor restoration".

Someday I will buy a parts car. I would hope that it will priced
accordingly, but the way things are going, I may have to sell off my
roadster to buy the parts car!

My vent,

Andrew Murphy
67.5 2000 Solex (Worth 5k on the market, priceless to me)
SoCalROC http://www.netcom.com/~andr/socalroc.htm