Re: Sprite Lurker Speaks plus a spam forward at the

To: Robert Rees <rrees@digitex.net>
Subject: Re: Sprite Lurker Speaks plus a spam forward at the
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 12:35:22 -0500

Robert Rees wrote:

> #1. One of my fellow Sprite drivers has found a pair of Solex carbs that
> are 48 mm and are DCOE weber style, any idea what these would fit and if
> not what info do I need off of them to narrow down the range of
> applications ( I am hoping that these would fit my friends 2000). If
> they do fit the 2000 would they need a different manifold or are the
> manifolds the same for both applications?

Don't waste your time with 48's or 50's for a street application,
they are way more than a streetable U20 can use.

If you have a full race cam and are turning 6-9K rpm's they
are great.

Otherwise, to use them on the street with even a modified
engine you would have to choke them to 34-37 mm.  Now think
what that does to flow characteristics..  you have slow velocity at the
intake
of the carb, high velocity across the choke, back to low velocity after
the choke (swirl, swirl, twist and curl...all this makes your engine
hurl, sorry carried away)  then it runs into the manifold edges and the
velocity increases
again (sick)   Then you throw the reversion pulses into the equation,
this isn't the way to make power....it makes a tuning mess.

IMHO, for street use get some 40's, 44's with smaller chokes or stick
with
the SU's, you will be much happier.

And look at a modern FI intake, smooth long runners, that the way you do
it...
No chokes, no abrupt transitions, everything is uniform.

Regards,
Jim