Update: Wide Whitewalls for Datsun Roadsters / LONG

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Update: Wide Whitewalls for Datsun Roadsters / LONG
From: "Dan Zubkoff" <datsun65@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 16:25:54 PST
A few weeks back I sent out a message requesting some help in searching for
some Wide Whitewalls for my 66 SPL311. So, I set-off on a search for a set
of 14 inch (175/70/14) radials with wide Whitewalls (2 Inch ww)

I've always liked the look of the wide whitewalls on the early SPL310's.
See:

http://members.aol.com/Datsun63/fairlady.htm

However, finding these tires in 175/70/14 is near impossible. The standard
vintage tires places had ZERO luck. This includes shops like Coker Tire.
They are able to get the original 4-Ply (560's) with a wide Whitewall....but
who really want to drive on 4-Plys???? I wanted radial tires.

Next attempt was to purchase normal whitewall tires (1/2 inch WW) and
attempt to "grind" the black-rubber off the sidewall to make a wide
whitewalls. Also, this couldn't work because the tires made nowadays only
have 1 1/8 inch white sidewalls under the black.

Next attempt was to check out the lowrider magazines-- Yet, even at these
vendors they only had 1 inch White Walls!!!

FINALLY SUCESS!!!  I found a company call Elite Motor Cars (714-649-2393)
that was able to custom make 175/70/14 tires with a wide 2 inch whitewall.
Cost was a bit high...but they really look fantastic!!

In a few weeks the tires should be mounted on the car, and we'll see how the
old style tires look on a 66 Datsun Roadster.

Just thought I'd share the info.

Dan Zubkoff
San Mateo, CA
1966 SPL311