Re: Battery Charging

To: Chris.Brucciani@ercgroup.com,
Subject: Re: Battery Charging
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 06:05:32 -0800
Chris.Brucciani@ercgroup.com wrote:

> Funny how's there's a thread on battery's and suddenly, low and behold, my
> battery dies.  Hmm...  Anyway, this is kind of a simplistic question, but
> the thought of exploding battery acid scares me so I thought that I would
> ask the experts.  I have always taken the battery out of the car and popped
> off the water covers before charging.  I am questioning whether or not this
> is necessary?  Do I need to unhook the battery cables and yank it, or can I
> simply hook the charger up while everything is in the car?  Thanks.

Chris,It is ok to charge the battery in the car but remove the cables and then
before replacing the cables clean them and the terminals good.  You could have
corosion causing the battery problem.  If necessary, clean under the battery as
well, if you don't have a tray under it.  Probably a good idea anyway to clean
under it.  When charging a battery, hydrogen gas is emitted and that is what is
explosive.
Hope that helps.
Bob