Re: looking for info on KA24 into 1970 1600

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, StumpU@aol.com
Subject: Re: looking for info on KA24 into 1970 1600
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 00 11:06:26 CST
Wes,

Welcome to the roadster list.

The L18 (imported in '73) and L20B ('74 up until 198?) were good
donors at time. But those engines are getting harder to find.
I'd look more at the engines from a 1990 vehicle (easy to find
the cars in wrecking yards, parts availablity, and just more
likely to be found with low miles.

The KA24 came in the 12 valve version in the Nissan Pickups and
the '89 & '90 model 240SX.   The '91 and later 240SX had a twin
cam engine, the KA24DE.

While you can buy intake manifolds for the KA24DE engine to allow
using twin solex carbs, I would recommend just finding a decent
donor and using EVERYTHING off the donor vehicle, keeping the
fuel injection. Decent, reliable, and low maintance.

As with any engine transplant, there is some work to be done.
I think Ross Mullen (aka Sports Imports) made up engine mount
adaptors for the KA24 motor. Not sure on the details.

Wrecking yard trick: I like seeing the engine in the car, gives
you an idea why the car is there! Sadly with some of the vehicles
were bought for teenagers who were more interested in the latest
stereo gear than changing oil. Remove the oil filler, and look
inside when a flash light. Shouldn't see any varnish, or sludge.
Also with time, and a sensitive nose, you can smell 'burnt oil'.
There is a distinct oder to engines that were run too hard (always
at redline... no kidding a neighbors daughter never took her
car out of second gear!)

Cruise on down to Modesto. There is a very nice yellow roadster
with a KA24DE in it. (Herb Petty).  Also they are a great group
to join up with for a Sunday Morning Breakfast!  Also mark your
calender for July 7-9 for the Mt. Shasta Meet. Even if your roadster
is not running, do plan on showing up!

Cheers,

Tom Walter   '68 2000
Austin, TX