Re: Topless and more

To: "Daniel Beatty" <daniel@seaport.net>
Subject: Re: Topless and more
From: Paul.Kort@marconimed.com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:53:11 -0500

Daniel,

  I have a 1969 1600 so it doesn't share parts with yours but, ... my roll bar
is AutoPower and it fits quite well.  I did just buy the canvas, zip out rear
window soft top but have not had it installed yet.  Tom Phelan has run one for
several years and many miles and to my knowledge, no leaks.  Cost?  Well $395 at
CDM vs. $235 for a one window JC Whitless heavy duty(?) vinyl top that has been
bad mouthed time and time again on this list?  I guess you know where I got mine
( and CDM also sells AutoPower bars. ).
  My front bow was obviously damaged when I removed the old top.  It appeared as
though the PO had pounded on the center clamp from above while attempting to get
the clamp latched.  That's probably why my center latch was broken also.  The
front bows have a tendency to warp a bit, smile or frown, depending on how well
the clamp tension was maintained.  If your bow sits flush with the windshield
header and makes a good seal, yeah, a good body shop can clean and repaint it.
But if it has been damaged or warped. that is another story.  Mine went to CDM
to be repaired.  They drill out the spot welds and reshape the top and bottom
sections.  Everything is lined up in a jig and welded back together, then
refinished and painted.  They did an excellent job on mine.
  As for Portland, it's just too far from Ohio for me to help with a top shop.
Good luck.  Now about those Schroth harnesses, was that in a roadster?  Which
harness?  And where did you mount the shoulder straps?

Paul
OROC

"Daniel Beatty" <daniel@seaport.net> on 03/23/2000 01:05:57 PM

Please respond to "Daniel Beatty" <daniel@seaport.net>