Re: Cold start rattle?

To: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Subject: Re: Cold start rattle?
From: Ken Pearce <kpearce@engr.ukans.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:27:47 -0500 (CDT)
Don't the timing chain tensioners on the U-20 run off of oil pressure?  I
forgot to run the oil pump with a drill motor before trying to fire up my
new engine recently.  It made a not-so-comforting noise for about 10-15
seconds until it gradually went away.  The engine still makes a short
ratttle noise when it first fires up now for about a second.  It's only
when I first start it in the morning.  What I've started doing now is to
crank over the engine a bit before I pull out the choke and allow it to
start.  This has eliminated the noise as far as I can tell.  My timing
chain and all components are new.  Should there be any rattle when first
starting up?  Even for just a second?

Ken Pearce, 68-2000
Lawrence, KS