Re: Roadster wanted

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roadster wanted
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:57:43 -0700
Okay, I hate to drag this out any further than it already has been, and I was
hoping not to have to get
specific, but...

Gary, I've reread the whole thread (a couple of times) and I don't come to the
same conclusions as you.
John's first post to the list was simply:
"Wanted: Solid street or street/competition roadster. I want a good car, so no
rust buckets or beaters.
Right money for the right car."
That's pretty simple and I don't see any attitude there.

And then we get stuff like:
"There is a great solid roadster you can have for cheap at camp 7 on Mt.
Everest. Oh I am sorry,it might
help if you said where you lived. Just a little jab."

Followed by a dissertation on the different types of roadsters. I don't
consider that really friendly.

So then Mike responds with a pretty straightforward:
"If I wanted to specify a particular model or level of prep, I would've. As I
said, the right money for the
right car. I'll know it when I see it. Show me what you have, and I'll decide
if I want to make an offer."

I know that to some people that sounds like an attitude, but I've met people at
lumber yards that had to
know exactly what grade of wood I wanted before they would show me anything,
when all I wanted was some
plywood to cover a hole in the yard, and it preally pissed me off. My feeling
was "Can I just look at your
plywood and I'll figure it out from there?"

And then some people started getting snotty. To give credit where it's due,
some people actually responded
to John's request with THE ACTUAL INFORMATION HE HAD ASKED FOR!

After a certain number of rude responses, John tried to explain that he would
consider any car, anywhere, he
would come pick it up. By this time it's obvious that he's getting upset
playing 20 Questions when he has
already provided all the information he should have needed. Personally, I don't
blame him.

But then there is this FLOOD of insulting notes with stuff like:
"FYI, "genius" the 1600 is an "R" motor" (unless it's an L16 conversion like
MANY people have done)
"she doesn't like arrogant people [most Roadsters don't]"
"People try to help and you thumb them. I have a different finger for you!!"
"With your strong opinions and ability to make friends quickly, I'm sure you
will be successful."
"Buy BMW please!"
"I hereby request that John Mikes be forceably removed from the Datsun Roadster
List." (BTW, he's been on
the list longer than you have.)

I'm not privy to any off-list responses that John made, so I can't say anything
about that. But if I
suddenly got slammed by a bunch of people when all I was trying to do was find
a car, I'd probably be pretty
upset, too.

The bottom line, Gary, is that I still believe a bunch of people on this list
were rude to him without
provocation, and that upsets me. One of the main things that has distinguished
this list from so many of the
others is that we are considered a friendly group. We used to get comments from
new list members about this
(although I haven't seen too many of those comments lately). This sure didn't
look like our best moment to
me.

Even though I feel very strongly about this, I'm not going to hold any grudges.
I can like people and still
not approve of all their actions. I would just like to request that we all try
to be more civil to each
other. We seem to be willing to say things in email that we would never think
of saying to a person's face.
That needs to change.

--
Gordon Glasgow