Found One...But (rather long)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Found One...But (rather long)
From: "Grant Bush" <gbush@connect.ab.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:24:03 -0600
Yesterday my Sports Car Club got together for an Ice Cream Run. One of the
members came up to me and said he saw a Datsun Roadster parked beside a
house and he was certain it was a 2000. I've been looking for one for about
a year, and believe me they are pretty scarce up here in the frozen north.

Anyway, we as a group drove out to see this little car. We had a tough time
finding the house again and then turned a corner and there it was. A Silver
'68 2000, obviously been sitting outside for a few years. The last year on
the tag was 1993. It had a "Snug Fit" Top (Is that right?) and the soft top
folded up in the rear. Interior was all there, nice but faded. Body was very
straight with a very little rust beginning at the bottom of one of doors.
Everything looked great but splash and dash faded silver paint over what
used to be white.

It must have been a sight...twelve little sports cars (11 British and 1
Japanese) pulled up to this little house and all the people surrounding this
old little car. Anyway - I knocked on the door, after a while a VERY old
lady came to the door and I asked about the car. It is her son's and yes it
is for sale (My Heart was now in the throat) She gave me the sons number and
I went back to my friends at the car (I think that by this time I was
skipping). Borrowed someone's cell phone and dialed the number. Talked to
the owner and finally asked how much. He said "Well I'm not sure if you're
familiar with these cars" I didn't tell him that I was standing next to my
1600 "But there was one for sale on the internet and I think he got 17 for
his" I could have peed myself $1700 Canadian for a nice if a little
neglected 2000 (That's about 1200 US for you guys). Well that's when he
added Thousand. SEVENTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS? I told him that I felt he was
just a little optimistic about his price, but he assured me that that is
what they are worth and if I wanted a rare classic it would cost me. I
thanked him for his time, wished him luck with his sale and went with my
friends for Ice Cream.

So I went from sky high to rock bottom in a very short time. I would guess
that this car might appraise at $5000 Canadian and I would have paid around
that for a complete car that needed attention. But I will pass on this one.

Maybe I should give his number to Mr. Mikes....just a thought.

Grant Bush
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
68 1600